The existence of gambling cannot be hidden in any society. Whether laws allow it or not, gambling is present everywhere. It is also an open fact that there are two strong sides in society with regard to gambling. One side favors gambling and the other side opposes it. Those who favor it enjoy indulging in the game whether as a player or as a spectator. They enjoy it so much to the extent that it becomes a regular part of their routine. For those opposing gambling, it is more of a moral issue for them. For centuries, gambling has retained these two strong opposing sides. Each side puts up its own undefeated stand. No matter what their stand is, pro or con, gambling remains steadfast in man’s social environment. It is as deep-rooted as any other aspect of society. The following are some pros and cons of gambling:
1. Gambling is a money-generating game – The pro people believe the money they bet can bear fruit when the time is ripe for harvest.
2. It is a social game that strengthens friendship and relationships – A gambler has a wide array of friends he plays along with or with whom he shares his winnings and in whom he gets a share of their winnings.
3. Gambling is as good as any game – The rationale here is that it is a game just like any game. Hence, players and spectators indulge in it by betting just as players and cheerers are there in a ball game.
1. Gambling diverts ones finances – What should have been for the family table ends up in the gambling table. Those days one wins could not cover for the days the family hungered due to diversion of finances to gambling.
2. Gambling destroys the family – Families are neglected by a gambling mate. Call it addicting or habitual, gambling takes one away from the home.
3. Gambling is gambling – Gambling is not a conscience-free game. Moral issues come strongly with it unlike some games. For this side, the bettor does not play alone. Invisibly, he takes his family along with him. When he losses yet he leaves them behind when he is rooted in his game.
In whatever side of the issue, gambling is here to stay in society no matter what are its consequences on the player, bettor, or family. This is clearly for the sake of enjoyment and fun.